Submissions are now being accepted for the 2022 CEE Deal of the Year Awards – the most prestigious peer-selected legal awards in Central and Eastern Europe.
Explanation and Methodology
Only deals that are formally submitted will be considered, and all submissions must be received by CEE Legal Matters on or before January 21, 2022.
As always, the editors and staff of CEE Legal Matters play no role in the evaluation of submissions or the selection of winners. Instead, submissions are exclusively evaluated by two panels of prominent lawyers from across the region – with members of the second and final panel forbidden from voting in markets where their firms are among the finalists.
Mandatory rules for submissions can be found below and on the required submission template (here).
Those submissions which satisfy the mandatory criteria will be automatically forwarded to our Shortlist Panels, consisting of senior partners at leading firms and/or highly experienced and respected General Counsel in each CEE jurisdiction who have agreed to rank the submissions for complexity, size, and market significance. Their votes will be tabulated, and the resulting shortlists for each market in which a minimum of three deals were submitted will be announced on February 18, 2022.
The shortlisted submissions will then be forwarded to the Final Selection Committee, consisting of CEELM Knowledge Partners and select other legal experts from across the region, who will review and rank the finalists, leading to the final determination of the winner for each market.
2022 Deal of the Year Awards Banquet
The 2021 CEE Deals of the Year Award winners will be announced at the 2022 CEE Deals of the Year Awards Banquet, scheduled in conjunction with the Dealer’s Choice International Law Firm Summit on April 5, 2022 at the HAC in London.
Previous Years’ Awards
The CEE Deals of the Year Awards, recognizing the largest and most important deals in Central and Eastern Europe, were launched in 2017, with winners of the first DOTYs announced at the June 6, 2018, Deal of the Year Awards Banquet in Prague, and winners of the 2018 DOTYs announced at the March 28, 2019 Banquet in Budapest. The Covid-19 crisis forced the cancellation of the past two Deal of the Year Banquets, so winners of the 2019 awards were announced in the May, 2020 issue of the CEE Legal Matters magazine (here), and last year’s winners were announced in the August, 2022 issue (here).
- Only deals that were signed between January 1 and December 31, 2021 will be considered, without exception. Closing or announcement dates will not be relevant for eligibility purposes.
- Each firm may make a maximum of three submissions per firm per country.
- Nominations must be made for individual countries, not regions (i.e., not "the Baltics" or "the Balkans" or "SEE"). Please identify the specific country the deal is being nominated for.
- Each submission should be sent as a separate attachment.
- We may not have an opportunity to follow up on missing information. Information that is not included may not be factored in the evaluation of the judges. Please be complete and intelligent in your submissions, making sure to emphasize why you believe the deal is important. In other words, if you think your deal is clearly the biggest or most important deal in the country, say so (and why) in the summary
Good luck, one and all!